After the 2020 Indian Wells Masters had to cancel the schedule because of the raging Covid-19 pandemic, it is very likely that Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal will continue to miss the championship race in two other major tournaments at the same ATP level 1,000 in Miami and Indian Wells.
Postpone Miami Masters because of Covid-19 pandemic
According to the original plan, Indian Wells Masters – the first Masters 1000 of this year will take place from 12/3 to 22/3. However, this tournament has been officially postponed and there is a high risk of not being able to make up for this year as the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic is spreading in more than 100 countries across the globe.
Indian Wells Masters executive – former German tennis player Tommy Haas apologized for postponing the tournament because of the health and safety of local residents, spectators, athletes, as well as volunteers, sponsors, waiters and everyone attending the event is the most important thing on March 9. They will announce the tournament schedule for another occasion.
This statement was made shortly after the Riverside County Health Department (California, USA) confirmed there was a positive case for a new strain of the Corona virus (nCov) causing the local Covid-19 pandemic.
The organizers of Indian Wells 2020 also said that anyone who bought the ticket can request a refund or reserve a ticket for this tournament next year.
The decision of the organizers of this year’s Indian Wells Masters received the approval of medical and epidemiological experts. “It will be a great risk for the Riverside County community if the tournament is crowded,” said David Agus, a professor of medicine at the University of Southern California. We must join hands to protect the community from the Covid-19 epidemic’s outbreak.
According to Marca newspaper (Spain), after the tournament at Indian Wells, it is likely that the other two ATP Masters 1000 in Miami and Monte Carlo this year will also be postponed because of the Covid-19 pandemic. In the initial schedule of ATP, the Miami Open will take place from March 23 to April 5, while the Monte Carlo Masters will be held from April 11-19.
However, in the event that these two tournaments are also postponed like the Indian Wells Masters, many major players will be significantly affected.
Who Would Be More Beneficial, Nadal or Djokovic?
Rafael Nadal did not attend the Miami Open last year because of a right knee injury so this year if this tournament is postponed, the player currently ranked No. 2 in the world will not lose points on the ATP rankings. But if the Monte Carlo Masters could not go on schedule as well, “Gaur” will be deducted 360 points because he reached the semi-finals last year (losing to Fabio Fognini 4-6, 2-6).
As for Novak Djokovic, the current world No. 1 player will only lose 270 points in case the Miami Masters and Monte Carlo Masters this year are both delayed when last year the Serbian tennis player only entered the fourth round at the Miami Open (90 points ) and quarterfinals at Monte Carlo (180 points).
Djokovic’s current score after definitely failing to defend 45 points in the third round of Indian Wells Masters due to this year’s delay of 10,220. Nadal will be deducted 360 points because he made it to the semifinals last year (withdrew before the match against Federer due to a right knee injury) and his current score is 9,850 points.
If two Masters 1000s in Miami and Monte Carlo were postponed, Djokovic lost another 270 points and his ATP score of 9,950 then. Nole will surely still be number 1 in the world then. Because Nadal’s score in the case of two tournaments in Miami and Monte Carlo will be reduced from 9,850 to 9,490, he will still be lower than Djokovic.
Read more : https://thenewssports.net/Category/tennis/